Joseph H. Puyat
SCIENTIST, PHD, M.SC., MA (PSYCH)
Dr. Joseph Puyat first joined CHÉOS in 2012 as a part-time Research Methodologist, providing support with research study designs and quantitative data analysis to clinicians and other researchers.
In 2016, he completed his Ph.D. at the School of Population and Public Health at UBC, supported by a CIHR Banting and Best Canada Graduate Scholarship and a UBC Four-Year Doctoral Fellowship
Dr. Puyat’s background includes training in social psychology, epidemiology, and health service research.
In previous studies, Dr. Puyat used linked health administrative data from the province of British Columbia to estimate gaps and disparities in depression care and to examine whether the introduction of physician incentives reduced the magnitude of existing care gaps and disparities. Currently, Dr. Puyat is exploring how the prevalence and burden of depression at the population level can be reduced over time by ensuring that treatment approaches are tailored to individuals’ characteristics; by reducing or eliminating disparities in access to mental health treatment and services; and, by identifying and promoting evidence-based activities that have therapeutic and preventive effects.
- Scholar, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- Assistant Professor (Partner), School of Population and Public Health, UBC
- Affiliated Investigator, Centre for Applied Research in Mental Health and Addiction (CARMHA), Simon Fraser University
- Pandemic is creating anxiety where none existed before (CBC Listen, August 2020)
- COVID-19: Poll, UBC scientist say mental health continues to suffer (Vancouver Sun, June 2020)
- Projected increase in depression and anxiety in B.C. caused by weakening mental health stigma: experts (Global News, January 2019)
- Mentally ill accessing less U.S. health care (Reuters, April 2017)
- Experts urge huge expansion of online therapy for mental illness (Reuters, April 2017)
- Only half of those depressed in B.C. receive adequate treatment, researcher finds (Vancouver Sun, July 2016)